Home HOME Neoplasma 2011 Neoplasma Vol.58, No.2, p.135-139, 2011

Journal info

6 times a year.
Founded: 1954
ISSN 0028-2685
ISSN 1338-4317 (online)

Published in English

Editorial Info
Abstracted and Indexed
Submission Guidelines

Select Journal

Webshop Cart

Your Cart is currently empty.

Info: Your browser does not accept cookies. To put products into your cart and purchase them you need to enable cookies.

Neoplasma Vol.58, No.2, p.135-139, 2011

Title: Clinical implication of 18F-FDG PET/CT in carcinoma of unknown primary
Author: K. PAK, S. J. KIM, I. J. KIM, H. Y. NAM, B. S. KIM, K. KIM, Y. K. KIM

Abstract: The value of 18F-Fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography (FDG PET/CT) in the detection of carcinoma of unknown primary (CUP) differs among the studies. This study aimed to evaluate the role of 18F-FDG PET/CT in CUP.
Fifty-one patients (19 women, 32 men) with metastasis confirmed by histopathology from an unknown primary tumor were included in this study. Patients received 370 MBq of 18F-FDG intravenously, and PET/CT was performed at 60 minutes after injection.
Primary tumor sites were detected in 5 of 51 patients (9.6%): in 2 patients with carcinoma of the lung, in 1 patient with carcinoma of the gallbladder, in 1 patient with carcinoma of the esophagus, and in 1 patient with carcinoma of the stomach. No primary tumor was discovered in the remaining 46 patients (90.4%) during the follow-up. The sensitivity, specificity, and accuracy of 18F-FDG PET/CT were 100%, 80.4%, and 82.4%. The positive and negative predictive values were 35.7 and 100%, respectively.
Based on the data presented, 18F-FDG PET/CT has a clinical implicative value in detecting the primary tumor of CUP. PET/CT can be useful to rule out the possibility of detecting the primary tumor during the follow-up.

Keywords: Fluorodeoxyglucose F18, positron-emission tomography, neoplasms, unknown primary
Year: 2011, Volume: 58, Issue: 2 Page From: 135, Page To: 139

download file

© AEPress s.r.o
Copyright notice: For any permission to reproduce, archive or otherwise use the documents in the ELiS, please contact AEP.