Home HOME Neoplasma 2015 Neoplasma Vol.62, No.2, p.167-171, 2015

Journal info

6 times a year.
Founded: 1954
ISSN 0028-2685
ISSN 1338-4317 (online)

Published in English

Editorial Info
Abstracted and Indexed
Submission Guidelines

Select Journal

Webshop Cart

Your Cart is currently empty.

Info: Your browser does not accept cookies. To put products into your cart and purchase them you need to enable cookies.

Neoplasma Vol.62, No.2, p.167-171, 2015

Title: Discontinuation of tyrosine kinase inhibitors in chronic myeloid leukemia patients – worldwide battlefield

Abstract: Advances in understanding the pathogenesis of chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) and implementation of the therapy with tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKI) could be considered as a prototype of successful fight against cancer. However, for an optimally responding patient it is recommended to follow the TKI therapy indefinitely. The question about the possibility of safe TKI treatment discontinuation in certain clinical situations was raised and is currently under close investigation worldwide. Currently, imatinib discontinuation trails have shown that about 60% of eligible patients experienced molecular recurrence within 6 months of treatment discontinuation, while the remaining 40% remained in defined deep molecular response throughout the duration of mostly two years follow-up. Interestingly, retreatment with the same TKI or another TKI was successful in the vast majority of patients demonstrating molecular recurrence of the disease. These findings support the concept of safe TKI treatment discontinuation and its usefulness for a specific subset of CML patients. However, recent data are not sufficient for TKI discontinuation attempts outside clinical trials yet. Because of the high risk of potentially problematic molecular recurrences of the pathological clones, the key question is to find the right predictive marker of TKI discontinuation success, however it stays unsolved yet. This minireview brings a concise summary of this hot topic with a realistic view from clinical routine.

Keywords: tyrosine kinase inhibitors, imatinib, discontinuation, chronic myeloid leukemia
Published online: 14-Jan-2015
Year: 2015, Volume: 62, Issue: 2 Page From: 167, Page To: 171

download file

© AEPress s.r.o
Copyright notice: For any permission to reproduce, archive or otherwise use the documents in the ELiS, please contact AEP.