Home Bratislava Medical Journal 2016 Bratislava Medical Journal Vol.117, No.10, p.571-576, 2016

Journal info


Published Monthly, in English
Founded: 1919
ISSN 0006-9248
(E)ISSN 1336-0345

Impact factor 1.564


Aims and Scope
Editorial Info
Submission Guidelines

Select Journal

Webshop Cart

Your Cart is currently empty.

Info: Your browser does not accept cookies. To put products into your cart and purchase them you need to enable cookies.

Bratislava Medical Journal Vol.117, No.10, p.571-576, 2016

Title: Predictors of blood pressure control in patients with resistant hypertension
Author: J. Pales, G. Kamensky, J. Payer


BACKGROUND: Uncontrolled resistant hypertension (RH) defined by the mean 24-hour ambulatory blood pressure (ABPM) represents an independent risk factor in hypertensive patients. Predictors of blood pressure (BP) control in RH are not yet clearly defined.
OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the predictors of BP control in RH patients with repeated ABPM measurements.
METHODS: 114 consecutive patients from outpatient cardiology office fulfilling criteria for RH (office BP ≥ 140 and/or 90 mmHg, with treatment of ≥ 3 antihypertensive drugs, including diuretic, or controlled BP with > 3 drugs), with two consecutive ABPM studies were compared in clinical characteristics according to BP control assessed by ABPM

 RESULTS: After the second ABPM, BP was controlled in 25.4 % of patients; the remaining 74.6 % were classified as uncontrolled. In the uncontrolled BP group, systolic office BP was 140.91±16.71 mmHg, diastolic 81.26 ± 10.92 mmHg. In ABPM, systolic was 145.11 ± 13.65 mmHg, diastolic 81.26 ± 10.92 mmHg. Compared to the controlled BP group, in the uncontrolled group the age was higher 72.32 ±10.89 years (p = 0.047), baseline average real variability of systolic BP was lower 12.66 ± 3.08 vs. 14.52 ± 3.53 (p = 0.013), no significant difference in baseline standard deviation of systolic BP changes was found.
CONCLUSION: Higher office BP, older age, and increased short term BP variability were associated with an uncontrolled hypertension. Stronger association was found with baseline average real variability rather than standard deviation. No significant differences were found in the dipping status and other clinical characteristics (Tab. 6, Fig. 1, Ref. 28).

Keywords: resistant hypertension, ambulatory blood pressure monitoring, blood pressure variability
Published online: 07-Nov-2016
Year: 2016, Volume: 117, Issue: 10 Page From: 571, Page To: 576

download file

© AEPress s.r.o
Copyright notice: For any permission to reproduce, archive or otherwise use the documents in the ELiS, please contact AEP.