Home Neoplasma Ahead of print Neoplasma Vol.68, No.5, p.1107–1112, 2021

Journal info

6 times a year.
Founded: 1954
ISSN 0028-2685
ISSN 1338-4317 (online)

Published in English

Editorial Info
Abstracted and Indexed
Submission Guidelines

Select Journal

Webshop Cart

Your Cart is currently empty.

Info: Your browser does not accept cookies. To put products into your cart and purchase them you need to enable cookies.

Neoplasma Vol.68, No.5, p.1107–1112, 2021

Title: High-grade serous ovarian carcinoma and detection of inactivated BRCA genes from biopsy material of Slovak patients
Author: Katarína Janíková, Barbora Váňová, Marián Grendár, Marek Samec, Alenka Líšková, Dušan Loderer, Ivana Kašubová, Anna Farkašová, Karla Scheerová, Pavol Slávik, Zora Lasabová, Zuzana Danková, Lukáš Plank

Abstract: Ovarian cancer is the leading cause of mortality among all gynecological cancers in developed countries and its most common and most lethal type is the high-grade serous ovarian carcinoma (HGSC). At the molecular level, nearly half of all HGSCs exhibit ineffective homologous DNA recombination and disruption of DNA damage/repair pathway inactivation caused often by BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutation. Recently, the detection of BRCA1/2 mutations became important for personalized treatment of HGSC patients with the PARP-inhibitors in the defined clinical setting of relapse after positive adjuvant platinum-based chemotherapeutic response. Based on the selection of patients by regional oncologists, we attempted to verify the possibilities of BRCA1/2 mutation testing on archival formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded (FFPE) biopsy material from regional hospitals. In the study we used: a/ FFPE tumor resections of 97 patients sent to our laboratory, originally stored in archives of regional departments for a period of 1 - 3 years and retrieved on the principle to contain a maximum of non-necrotic tumor tissue, b/ next-generation sequencing (NGS) assay covering all known mutations in the BRCA1/2 genes on MiSeq (Illumina® platform), and c/ Sophia DDM® bioinformatics platform. After processing of FFPE samples, 5 cases were excluded due to the insufficient genomic DNA quantity. Bioinformatics results of NGS analyses of 92 patients' samples indicated 17.39 % pathogenic mutations and 32.61 % potentially pathogenic mutations in genes BRCA1/2. Overall, 50 % pathogenic and potentially pathogenic mutations were detected in the patient's cohort. The relatively high incidence of BRCA1/2 mutations in our series may be influenced by various indicators including the selection of patients based on adjuvant therapy response as well as regional or population heterogeneity in their frequency. Based on the interdisciplinary cooperation, the use of archival biopsy material processed primarily and stored for longer period in different laboratories without uniformly defined pre-analytical conditions allows identifying the HGSC patients who might better respond to the PARP-inhibition therapy.

Keywords: HGSC; BRCA1; BRCA2; PARP-inhibitor; SOPHIA DDM
Published online: 15-Jul-2021
Year: 2021, Volume: 68, Issue: 5 Page From: 1107, Page To: 1112

download file

© AEPress s.r.o
Copyright notice: For any permission to reproduce, archive or otherwise use the documents in the ELiS, please contact AEP.