Home Bratislava Medical Journal 2023 Bratislava Medical Journal Vol.124, No.5, p.363–367, 2023

Journal info


Published Monthly, in English
Founded: 1919
ISSN 0006-9248
(E)ISSN 1336-0345

Impact factor 1.564


Aims and Scope
Editorial Info
Submission Guidelines

Select Journal

Webshop Cart

Your Cart is currently empty.

Info: Your browser does not accept cookies. To put products into your cart and purchase them you need to enable cookies.

Bratislava Medical Journal Vol.124, No.5, p.363–367, 2023

Title: How can an immunologist influence the occurrence of secondary infections in breast cancer? Real‑life study
Author: Norbert LUKAN, Anna HAJDUKOVA, Peter KOLARCIK, Vladimir BELLA

Abstract: BACKGROUND: Clinical manifestation of secondary immunodeficiency is responsible for the decrease in lfe quality in cancer‑treated patients, which may result in administration delays, dose reductions, even in discontinuation of treatment. The main aim of presented study was to stress the possibility of influencing secondary infections with adjunctive immuno-regulatory medicament (AIRT).
METHODS: The presented real-life retrospective study involved a cohort of 94 adult female patients aged from 30 to 87 years with mean age of 58.4 (SD = 11.37). The cohort was divided into two groups. One group (54 patients; 57.45 %) was treated by using the adjunctive immuno-regulatory medicaments and the other, control group (40 patients; 42.55 %), was without any immunological interventions in relation to secondary immunodeficiency. Patients in both groups were treated by standard oncotherapy.
RESULTS: The results show that in patients who were sent for immunological consultation, double-digit values of mild secondary infection frequencies were revealed. When immunologists decided to add adjunctive immunomodulatory medicament, the occurrence of infection and consumption of antibiotics decreased. The decrease was significant in the second evaluated interval (6th – 12th month).
CONCLUSIONS: Our results strongly advise regular or even preventive examination of cancer patients by immunologic specialist for the purpose of attenuating some negative consequences of applied anti-tumor therapy (Tab. 1, Fig. 4, Ref. 14). Text in PDF www.elis.sk

Keywords: secondary infection, breast cancer, real‑life study, clinical immunology, treatment
Published online: 27-Feb-2023
Year: 2023, Volume: 124, Issue: 5 Page From: 363, Page To: 367

download file

© AEPress s.r.o
Copyright notice: For any permission to reproduce, archive or otherwise use the documents in the ELiS, please contact AEP.